Women’s right to freedom of expression and information in Myanmar
July 24, 2015
Awareness of gender issues is low in Myanmar, according to a report launched last month by Article 19.
This report, Women in Myanmar, came to a number of conclusions:
- There is no prioritisation of access to gender-based information for women
- Gender-based stereotyping persists across all media
- The government lacks quality data to access trends on the inclusion of women, but also the budget to make inclusion possible
- Women’s voices are largely excluded from decision-making
- The capacity to build an understanding of women’s political, civil, economic, cultural and social rights and inclusion must grow
Read the full report by Article 19 on women’s right to freedom of expression and information in Myanmar.